Desktop Notifications Spec 0.3

Christian Hammond chipx86 at gnupdate.org
Tue Sep 21 21:21:18 EEST 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 07:47:00PM +0200, Lars Hallberg wrote:
> I can see one more use for having sound in the notification spec.
>
> Stuff like 'new email', 'user foo enters chat' etc can be notifed with
> sound  and/or visual notification. Having sound and a option to tell
> that 'sound or notifikation is OK' in the spec make this costomisable in
> a central place, good for accessability! IE, For sound notifikations I
> want [ ] only sound if avalible, [ ] only popup, [ ] both.
>
> Implementations could have a 'notifikation history' applet, and if sound
> notifikations go thru the notifikation server, Users can check what that
> stange sound realy was thru the history (or just se what user entered
> the chat). If the notifikation have sufisient info about the sending
> app, such history cold have a 'bring up app' button for case wher the
> app is minimilized or on another virtual desktop.
>
> Even without a notification history we gain that every app need not to
> detect if they can play sound. I some time shut down the sound server to
> use apps talking to sound device. If that automagicly made gaim
> notifikations visual it would be cool!
>
> Now, this shuld of corse only be used for sounds that are notifikation,
> not UI feedback like 'toolbutton click sounds'.

Even with this use, the spec doesn't need to define how the client
tells the daemon. Do we really want every IM program to decide what
sound to send? How about just setting those notification types and
letting the server handle the sounds itself? Then the notification
server could be sound-themed, rather than each individual application.

Christian

--
Christian Hammond         <>  The Galago Project
chipx86 at gnupdate.org      <>  http://galago.sourceforge.net/