Fwd: Re: tigert's mockups and HTML

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Tue Sep 21 21:24:01 EEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 11:18 -0700, Christian Hammond wrote:
> Say the disk goes back, as used in an example earlier on, and you get
> a thousand notifications. The sysadmin or user would try to shut
> things down and such, but now you have a thousand HTML renderers
> trying to display the notifications. Ouch.

a) one error should not cause a thousand notifications (even if the
error affects multiple apps).  and notifications should definitely get
queued up if there are more than a couple.  having a thousands
notifications all at once should never, ever happen.

b) I'm not sure what you mean when referring to "a thousand HTML
renderers".  There will only be *one* renderer ever loaded by the daemon
(and preferably just one across the whole desktop), which will just be
doing the work of, well, rendering.  Which, hey, you have to do _anyhow_
even for non-HTML notifications.

> I don't think we need something so massive. A simple parser maybe, and
> we could possibly include image support.. But that's another thing. It
> would be so easy to abuse image support, even unintentionally, unless
> we scaled it down or something. That's another discussion, though.

The entire toolkit can be abused.  We live with just having a HIG and
admonishing developers that make fugly/unusable apps.  Given that
HTML/images _can_ be used for some impressive notifications that not
only are pretty, but also packed with useful and relevant information,
it seems a shame to ban them just because some developers may be
tasteless or incompetent.

> Christian

AwesomePlay Productions, Inc.