COMPOUND_TEXT versus UTF8_STRING

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Sep 22 19:43:01 EEST 2004

Around 18 o'clock on Sep 22, Roland Mainz wrote:

> It is not easy to get rid of COMPOUND_TEXT since many X11 specs have to
> be rewritten/updated to do that. And backwards-compatibility to existing
> (binary) applications is required, too.

We don't have to eliminate it, but we should make sure the standards all
have some way of using UTF8 instead and mark the COMPOUND_TEXT (and STRING)
support as 'obsolete' so that application developers are encouraged to use
the more modern methods.

Adopting the EWMH as an X.org standard might be a good place to start.

-keith