Desktop Notifications Spec 0.3

Christian Hammond chipx86 at gnupdate.org
Wed Sep 29 19:39:09 EEST 2004

On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 10:59:37AM -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> > way as widget consistiency (compatible themes) and some negotiated advisory
> > document for toolkit authors. For applications that want clear separation
> > beetween server part and DM part a desktop component can be added that
> > translates system messages e.g. sent throuch dbus into proper popups. We
> > could also standarize this one and current spec would be perfectly suitable
> > for that purpose. But the separation leaves an escape path for apps "that
> > want more" without raising requirements for DMs to be compilant.
> > What dou you think?
> > Regads,
> > DS.
>
> This creates more work than it is worth.  I rather just send the message
> and trust it will be displayed in a consistent method.  HTML with a
> mandated style tags would be the best to allow for rich content.

Agreed. Simple messages with a little bit of HTML markup (bold,
italic, etc.) is probably going to be sufficient. I don't see a need
for complex formatting with CSS and such, but if we ever need it,
things can be extended.

I'm waiting for Mike Hearn's feedback on the 0.4 draft, and then I'll
post that. I'm very specifically saying how things like XEMBED and
such will not be supported ;) Let's put an end to that stuff.

Christian

--
Christian Hammond         <>  The Galago Project
chipx86 at gnupdate.org      <>  http://galago.sourceforge.net/