Desktop Notifications Spec 0.3

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Sep 29 19:58:15 EEST 2004

On Monday 27 of September 2004 11:37, Mike Hearn wrote:
> Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  Does that mean there would be no possibility to delay and queue the
> > notifications e.g. while playing a game or being in a don't-disturb mood
> > for some other reason?
>
> Right. But, what does doing a delay in the server give you? Why not do
> it in the client? I don't really understand why it'd be more beneficial
> to have a notification delayed in the server than the client.

 One server. Many clients. Simple maths.

> The server could still delay if it chose to, because it's been put in
> silent mode for instance, but I'm not sure what the use cases for having
> the delay be specified client side is.
>
> >  But it would be certainly a nice bonus if it did so.
>
> Hmm, why? I'd rather solve this problem once for everything than over
> and over again in lots of individual apps and specifications.

 Just go ahead. But what's wrong with having the problem solved for
notifications, without any significant effort?

> > > I think this is a matter for a different spec. It's more a generic
> > > issue ... as I said, clients are free to do distracting things that
> > > aren't notifications and already do so today (think gaim popping up
> > > when somebody sends you a message).
> >
> >  Hmm. On my desktop nothing gets in the way of the thing I'm working on
> > right at the moment (unless there's a bug of course). New windows from
> > inactive applications are not allowed by the window manager to get in the
> > way, my media player doesn't just randomly start playing sounds,etc. So
> > the only thing I see is whatever I'm working on, applets in the panel,
> > and notifications about things happening in the background.
>
> I think there would still be value for such a spec, even on a well set
> up desktop like yours. For instance, organizer apps may want to give
> audible alarms for "You have a meeting in 5 minutes" type events,

 That's still a notification.

> if you
> set "Open this file" in your web browser when downloading a large
> document you may wish for it to be put off until you are finished, and
> so on.

 I'm not sure what you mean here (and hence not sure what it has to do with
notifications or not disturbing).

> There are some events that don't make sense to have a passive
> notification on the desktop, but you want to suppress anyway.

 But they are either some kind of notification, or I don't want them to get in
my way. Or do you have any specific event in mind which doesn't fit either
category? And if I'm not mistaken nobody says the notification has to be a
passive popup.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer