Proposal for a Desktop Neutral Crypto API

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Sun Apr 3 04:33:52 EEST 2005

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 11:03 am, Nate Nielsen wrote:
> Mike Hearn wrote:
> >>             Allows swapping of implementations when the user / admin /
> >>   distro requires.
> >
> > But a shared library with a well defined interfaces allows this too.
>
> Let's say my initial implementation does not include LDAP key server
> lookups, then later I'd like to add that. Then all of a sudden each
> consumer of this shared library gets a dependency on OpenLDAP. Yes, it's
> a contrived example, seeing that everyone already has this feature, but
> this demonstrates what I was thinking about.
QCA (a Qt based library, for crypto in a more general sense than you are
proposing) can already do plugin based implementations - you don't need to
couple the shared library that closely.

> Yes, point taken. Seahorse will experiment with this API, as it
> currently spans several processes (with plugins and the like).
If you write a set of conformance tests, then I'll consider implementing the
API  (subject to the Qt4 DBUS bindings building).

> I'm obviously interested in GNOME, but I brought this proposal up so
> others could colaborate and perhaps gain these (what I see as) benefits
> for their desktops.
I'm unconvinced, but I'm willing to see where it goes.

Brad