Some idea's for "clipboard-manager" (xfixes)

Philip Van Hoof pvanhoof at gnome.org
Mon Apr 4 10:25:37 EEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 21:54 +0200, Lars Hallberg wrote:
> Philip Van Hoof wrote:

> > Why DBUS?
> >
> >     o. Everybody (including KDE developers) loves/likes DBUS.
> >     o. And perhaps not everybody loves it. Still, nobody "hates" it.
>
> Intresting, but I like to expand the idé beond clipboard. A D-Bus based
> 'typed' data transfer and converting mekanism can have broader use, that
> in the end will solve problems for the clipboard to.

I like the idea and it's, of course, possible to build it that way.

But not only we'll need developers, we'll also need acceptance of all
important X11 (or at last X.Org) developers including the ones who are
building the popular GUI toolkits.

And we'll need so called "backwards compatibility" for old applications
that wont convert (because it just works). Perhaps by by bridging the
old and the new world using a hybride application or plugin.

Getting that acceptance is much harder than implementing it. And then,
once accepted by everybody, getting everybody to use what they just
accepted is probably an impossible task.

Nevertheless I'm pro this idea. And once you are ready to implement and
develop this, I'll be available and interested (in my free time) to help
you.

I've once proposed this on a mailinglist:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-hackers/2003-July/msg00092.html

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at freax dot org