Icon Name Standardization, second draft

Guillaume Desnoix guillaume at desnoix.com
Mon Apr 4 16:18:48 EEST 2005

Hi,
Thank you to all people working on this specification. It will be very
usefull. I would like to suggest a change in the current naming. I think
it would be more usefull if the icon name is written differently, from
the most general part to the more specific one. Consider the current names:
   image-alignment-left
   text-format-left
   table-alignment-left
   arrow-left
With these names, an artist is required to provide 4 icons. It will also
require more resources (memory, disk, ... even if you can use links).
Instead, an icon search should start with the full name and
progressively remove the most right part. Consider these names:
   left-align-image
   left-align-text
   left-align-table
   left-align
   left-arrow
   left
A minimal theme needs to provide only one icon. A bit bigger one will
provide two (left,left-align) or three (left,left-align,left-arrow). A
full theme will provide all the icons (but only four icons will be used).
Using such a name scheme will reduce the work to create icon sets, and
reduce memory/disk usage (if you're using an USB key or an old
computer), while not preventing full icon sets.
Regards, Guillaume
http://www.jdistro.com/