dvfs api and toolkits

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Tue Apr 5 16:07:32 EEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 11:00 +0200, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 April 2005 05:32, Sean Middleditch wrote:
>
> > Some backends might have relatively efficient support for seeking, and
> > it might be possible to design the API in such a way that it can
> > transparently support either native seek support or local-copy
> > emulation.  Doing that could get tricky, though, in some cases - what if
> > you open a large file on a backend that doesn't handle seeking but just
> > stream it in?  Should the system try to create the temporary copy
> > anyhow, or should the API require the developer to explicitly state, "I
> > want this file to be seekable" ?
>
> Maybe just some protocol info like is capable of seeking forward (skipping),
> capable of seeking backwards.

Indeed, that's the idea.  I'm still torn between an OO-interface style
that the gnome-vfs guys seem to want and something more simple like a
has_capability function.  I don't think the interface approach will make
anything particularly easier without actually doing the whole interface
OO-like with inheritance and all that goodness, which isn't something
I'm going to attempt in C.  (Not even with glib, although the glib
bindings to D-VFS can very well be OO.)