DConf configuration system

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Thu Apr 7 14:03:05 EEST 2005

On Wednesday 06 April 2005 23:36, Chris Lee wrote:
> GConf is cool, and I'm glad that GNOME has it. It's great for them. It
> doesn't have the same features that KConfig has, and renaming it to
> DConf or D-Conf or anything similar is NOT going to make it more
> attractive to us. It's not going to fix the lack of Kiosk-mode, nor is
> it going to magically make it work with our KConfigXT framework or help
> to automatically migrate our users current, existing KConfig settings.

GConf has some kiosk features but they seem to be a bit awkward to use.
KConfigXT was designed in such a way that it will be possible to use it with
other config frameworks without too much conversion pain, in fact KConfigXT
allows us exactly to automatically migrate our users current, existing
KConfig settings to something else. Unfortunately a significant number of
KConfig settings are still not covered by KConfigXT, so the benefit is
limited here.

GConf has some features that KConfig lacks, the most notable ones are proper
change notification and multi-level grouping.

By combining the best of GConf and KConfig you can get a better solution that
is an improvement for each of them. And you get extra bonus points if in the
process all applications end up using the same config system.

I know that quite a few people would like to be able to use KDE's KioskTool to
configure OpenOffice.org: having a common config system would make that a lot
easier.

I would also like to point out that there are two important aspects to any
config system: the API towards the application and the actual on-disk storage
format (backend). Being flexible in the choice of backend makes a smooth
upgrade possible because it will then be possible to change the overall
config system but let end-users have the choice to continue to use their
current KConfig (.ini-style) based settings for KDE applications.

Now let's call this new config system DConf. The question then is whether you
start with GConf and turn that into DConf, or whether you take something like
UniConf and add the missing pieces there.

> UniConf is also cool, if slightly crack-induced and scary. But the tech
> is cool and the demos that Avery posted are pretty exciting from a pure
> "Holy crap, you can actually do that?" standpoint.

Yes, so it would be fun if you could use all that coolness for your KDE
settings.

Cheers,
Waldo