An analysis about a generic desktop application configuration management system

Jamie McCracken jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Apr 7 22:26:00 EEST 2005

Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 20:32 +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
>

> If you dump the transactions requirement you can go back to text files.
> Using simpler text files is the major reason that KConfig is better than
> GConf for system administrators, so text files are a significant plus.

This shouldn't be a problem. If you use a database you should have
utilities to import/export xml files from Stdin/Stdout. A sysadmin can
use these to retrieve all keys for a subtree as an xml text file, edit
it and then import it back in. Of course thay can also be called from
scripts as well so I dont think having text files as the backend should
be mandatory if there's a method to achieve the same effect for admin
purposes.

jamie.