Some Icon Theme Spec fixes

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Mon Apr 11 10:51:59 EEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 13:23 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 05:30 +0200, tackat at t-online.de wrote:
> > > Does everyone agree with the /icons/$themename ->
> > > themes/$themename/icons change, and will all current implementators
> > > change this?
> >
> > I object. See my reply in the thread "Independence of widget/GTK and
> > icon themes" for details.
>
> And as I've already stated, I don't see how this is a valid technical
> problem. Nothing will actually break. Especially with GTK+, assuming
> the patch I've already written to do this, goes in (ie, assuming that
> Alex agrees to put this in the spec). And it doesn't break ABI/API
> within GTK+, so it could go into the stable tree as well. Basically, it
> means upgrading the library that provides the implementation will make
> any new themes work in older apps as well. If anyone has specific
> examples of applications that will break, because they provide their
> *own* icon theme implementations, please speak up and talk about those.
> The problem is solved for GTK+/GNOME and QT/KDE applications, as the
> implementation is provided in the toolkit (unless QT/KDE is broken, and
> requires applications to do this, which I somehow doubt).

Installing a new version of a theme, say crystal-svg will suddenly break
using that theme unless you also upgrade some unrelated, maybe not yet
released (or availible for your distro) package (i.e. Gtk+).

And this just to get a different name for a  directory that is normally
hidden from users. I don't really see the need for this. And it seems
gtk+ developers and kde icon theme maintainers agree with me.

I agree that long-term, the problems would right themselves. I just
don't think changing the directory name has enough advantages to justify
even temporary problems. I think most themes use an icon theme named
differently from the theme name anyway.

                   alexl at redhat.com    alla at lysator.liu.se
He's an immortal crooked sorceror from a doomed world. She's a vivacious
foul-mouthed queen of the dead on her way to prison for a murder she didn't
commit. They fight crime!