An analysis about a generic desktop application configuration management system

P. Kaluza p.kaluza at tu-bs.de
Tue Apr 12 02:03:13 EEST 2005

Havoc Pennington wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 11:20 +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
>

>>Afaik LDAP doesn't do notifications (but please correct me if I'm
>>wrong).
>>

>Most LDAP servers have an extension for it you can dynamically check for
>and use. IIRC there was a standard extension in progress at one point, I
>don't know if it's been finalized.

The IETF workgroup chartered with that produced some drafts (by now
expired), but AFAIK nothing more yet. The OpenLDAP coders came up with a
competing protocol suggestion called "LDAP Sync"¹. This is geared
towards server- as well as client-replicas, including push notification,
so would IMHO quite fit DConf's needs. :-) Not that this is important
right now.

>>However. It will work together with existing ACAP implementations.
>>

>Except nobody uses ACAP. This is the most irrelevant feature I can
>imagine.

Exactly. Philip, if you are aware of any ACAP deployments, could you
provide pointers ?

Bye,
  Philipp

¹ http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin22/syncrepl.html