An analysis about a generic desktop application configuration management system

Patrick Patterson ppatters at nit.ca
Tue Apr 12 03:55:44 EEST 2005

On Monday 11 April 2005 20:42, P. Kaluza wrote:
> So i _suggest_ (as others have before me) to adopt DBUS as the protocol
> for all client<->first-tier-server. This _is_ negotiagble, but please
> state your reasons. It is actually an implementation detail - but the
> one I'd like to see decided really really soon.

Why bother at this point? Let's do like every other standards body before us,
and define what the protocol looks like, and ignore the transport of that
protocol - it may be that D-BUS is the right way to go, but there could be an
argument made for DCOP, and straight up Unix Domain Sockets.

So let's start working towards the checklist - that's it, that's all - when
the requirements states "There shall be a server and a client and they shall
talk with the following semantics", then doing a DBUS, DCOP or any other
implementation is trivial, and writing bridges between them is trivial as
well...

--
Patrick Patterson
Technical Ambassador