An analysis about a generic desktop application configuration management system

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Tue Apr 12 12:22:47 EEST 2005

On Tue Apr 12 00:03:13 2005, P. Kaluza wrote:
> Exactly. Philip, if you are aware of any ACAP deployments, could
> you provide pointers ?

There's probably around 10 or so if you're aiming to count actual,
real, ACAP servers in active usage. Most of these are very small
deployments. It's possible there's more than that, actually - I only
really know about those using my implementation. The Cyrus SML
implementation is still used, but how many, I really have no idea.

Or else there's thousands if you're talking cut-down ACAP versions
used for simplified tasks, such as those found in CommunigatePro, the
Eudora servers, etc. Most of these are relatively large deployments.

But again, I stress:

It's really not the wire protocol that's important here at all.
There's plenty of other things that make up ACAP that can be useful
for us to borrow, steal, and use for inspiration.

Even the wire protocol, if we strip out a subset of it, could be
useful as an internal protocol.

Dave.