Trash Spec updated

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Wed Apr 13 12:41:12 EEST 2005

On Tuesday 12 April 2005 19:29, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A long-overdue update of the Trash Spec, with escaping of the deleted file's
> name, is now available at:
>
> http://www.ramendik.ru/docs/trashspec.html
>
> David: could you please look through this to see if this adequately reflects
> what is implemented in KDE 3.4?

Yep, looks OK to me.

What I found missing in the spec was the security considerations, i.e. the required
permissions on the trash directories. $topdir/.Trash-$uid and the "home trash directory"
both need to
- be owned by user
- be a directory
- not be a symlink
- have exactly 0700 permissions (rwx------)

The spec talks about the specs for $topdir/.Trash, but not for .Trash-$uid/ or .Trash/$uid/ itself.

(BTW even just after creating a trash dir, better check for this, since on e.g. USB keys
mounted with uid==root, the "owned by user" security check will fail)