An analysis about a generic desktop application configuration management system

Philip Van Hoof spamfrommailing at freax.org
Wed Apr 13 17:35:10 EEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 09:54 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> > We are just at the first stage: gathering the requirements.

> I think this is your basic problem.

> 1. Open source doesn't work this way

> 2. This is the widely-discredited "waterfall" model anyhow;
>    something more iterative would be better even in a
>    non-open-source-context

I agree.

> 3. In this case we've already done a number of iterations and
>    widely tested things and have solid understanding/feedback
>    from that

> What you need to do is a) listen to the past experience b) start writing
> some iterations of code.

So collect requirements, learn from past experience, start coding,
propose, gather new requirements, code more (fix stuff), propose, ....?

I'm cool with that development model. And I'm willing to help with the
implementation (coding-role, not leading nor decision-making).

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at pvanhoof dot be