Bringing fdo.org to the next level

Philip Van Hoof spamfrommailing at freax.org
Fri Apr 15 12:11:29 EEST 2005

This might create an immense provocation and/or discussions. I sincerely
hope this will not happen.

I propose that the freedesktop.org organisation goes one step further in
how it works.

My proposal is to create a board:

	o. Each important desktop application and desktop environment
	   communities can deliver a certain amount of members to this
	   board. (which they can choose themselves)

	o. The desktop applications and desktop environment communities
	   need to understand that the decisions made by this board are
	   important to accomplish the concept of a usable free desktop.

So a lot like how the GNOME foundation chooses it's board members and
how the board works. With meetings etcetera. I'm sure KDE als has such a
board and/or meetings and/or organisation (but I'm unaware how KDE works
so I can't use it as an example -- which doesn't mean that it's an
unusable example nor does it mean that I'm trying to say how good GNOME
is because they have a board. This is not what I'm trying to say here).

So to have such a board rather than an organisation that only wants to
give certain services (like CVS and mailinglists) to desktop projects
(not that this isn't needed and not that this activity should stop of
course).

And it shouldn't change the fact that everybody can play a role in the
discussions (the mailinglists). The members of such a board, however,
could pick the most interesting topics and the most interesting point of
views and discuss them in meetings. I think that this will be more
productive.

Of course it's just a proposal. An opinion. Nothing serious. Please do
not start fighting my opinion. The most ideal situation would be that
this proposal will be just a proposal without a flamewar of fight.
Understand that it's just an idea. I repeat: an opinion. Mine. Not the
opinion of all people on this list.

--
Philip Van Hoof, Software Developer @ Cronos
home: me at pvanhoof dot be