Bringing fdo.org to the next level

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Fri Apr 15 15:22:08 EEST 2005

On Friday 15 April 2005 12:17, Philippe Fremy wrote:
> If your proposition relates to the lengthy discussion about d-vfs or
> dconf, my very personal opinion is that you should first start to write
> code, and then show it and discuss it (like Linus said, "show me the
> code!").

I think that is well meaning advice, and having working code at some point is
certainly the best way to get anywhere, but there is a very big risk when you
start with code in relation to something like d-conf and that is that people
will look at your code and assume that whatever design decision you have made
in your code is final and then use that as a reason to dismiss the whole idea
out of hand. I think the current process actually works fairly well in
working out how this ideal new VFS or configuration system should look like.

Even though most open source software starts with some rough code, the
circumstances here on FreeDesktop.org are slightly different. For starters
there is already enough working code that we can look at for reference.
Second, even though the waterfall method isn't traditionally used very much
in open source projects, it's isn't such a bad model to start with. Once you
have done the first iteration you will have some sort of working code and
then you can move to faster iterations that are more typical for open source.

The first code doesn't need to match all the requirements, but it really helps
if you know where you are going, with a lot of software the requirements
aren't at all clear and evolve over time but in this case there is a pretty
good understanding among the various stakeholders what they expect out of
this (And it better meet their expectations otherwise they are unlikely to
use it) The major challenge is to get input from all stakeholders and make
sure that the overall requirements correctly reflect all of the individual
requirements.

When that has happened you will hopefully be able to sell the idea to the
various projects and hopefully get a balanced involvement in the
implementation phase from the various stakeholders.

I think the latter is something that more or less failed with DBUS at the KDE
side. Let's see if we can do better this time.

Cheers,
Waldo