Update problem: lost WMs

Andy Pieters mailings at vlaamse-kern.com
Mon Apr 18 00:20:39 EEST 2005

Hi All

I have a station that's running Fedora Core 3 Heidelbergh and I compiled X
from sources.

I was running the RedHat rpm prior to that so what I did was I compiled X,
went to runlevel 3 then issued a apt-get remove X* followed by a make install
on X

Next I issued the init 5 command and the new X loads.  It just sits there
doing much of nothing and after a while it tells me that it cannot load a
display manager (or was it window manager) and that I should change something
in a script (which?).

Killing X from another console makes it respawn and shows me a login screen
this time but logs me in into xcfe (or something like that.. forgot its
name).

I really would like to use KDE since I'm hooked on it!

I hope this question finds you in good mood and would like to take this
oppurtunity to thank all of you guys for all that you have accomplished with
X.

With kind regards

Andy

ps: I am in withdrawl of KDE... the shakes have already started.

--
Registered Linux User Number 379093
--

 http://www.vlaamse-kern.com/sas/