Bookmarks shared among desktop environments

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at nit.ca
Mon Apr 18 19:50:04 EEST 2005

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 05:00:49PM +0100, Jamie McCracken wrote:

> Christian Neumair wrote:
> >I've recently decided to implement a D-Bus-powered bookmarks system,
> >which aims to provide categorized file and web bookmarks.
> >
>  Whilst not wishing to put you off implementing this, I was kinda
> hoping something like DConf will do away with propriety storage (dot
> files, xml files and all the other crap freedesktop currently uses). Is
> there a reason DConf could not handle the bookmarks?
>
> (of course Dconf is vapour ware, might not be ready for months or years
> and might not even succeed so dont let that stop you!)

An orthogonal problem to DConf design is the actual *layout* of the shared
keys.  This is actually the harder problem, and nobody has really started it
yet.

If there was a shared bookmarks key layout standard that people could agree
on in advance, it would be easy to migrate that to DConf later.  So I think
it's very valuable to work on this project immediately.

Have fun,

Avery