Update problem: lost WMs

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Mon Apr 18 20:14:22 EEST 2005

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, Andy Pieters wrote:

> I have a station that's running Fedora Core 3 Heidelbergh and I compiled X
> from sources.
>
> I was running the RedHat rpm prior to that so what I did was I compiled X,
> went to runlevel 3 then issued a apt-get remove X* followed by a make install
> on X
>
> Next I issued the init 5 command and the new X loads.  It just sits there
> doing much of nothing and after a while it tells me that it cannot load a
> display manager (or was it window manager) and that I should change something
> in a script (which?).
>
> Killing X from another console makes it respawn and shows me a login screen
> this time but logs me in into xcfe (or something like that.. forgot its
> name).
>
> I really would like to use KDE since I'm hooked on it!

You may want to use the mailing list or forum specific for your Fedora
Core 3 to get good assistance. Be sure to provide good details on the
exact messages you received.

You may want to check that KDE is still installed using your package tools
and also look for your startkde command.

The normal way I use to start KDE is to add a .xsession and .xinitrc file
in my home directory that contains:

startkde

(~/.xsession used by xdm and ~/.xinitrc used by startx.)

Good luck,

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/