Bookmarks shared among desktop environments

Waldo Bastian bastian at kde.org
Mon Apr 18 23:21:53 EEST 2005

On Monday 18 April 2005 20:39, Jamie McCracken wrote:
> We dont need a solution to this for Dconf at this point. However I
> suspect the keys will look something like :
>
> Key						Value
> org.freedesktop.bookmarks.web.1.uri		http://www.slashdot.org
> org.freedesktop.bookmarks.web.1.displayname	Slashdot
> org.freedesktop.bookmarks.web.2.uri		http://linuxtoday.com
> org.freedesktop.bookmarks.web.2.displayname	Linux Today
>
> org.freedesktop.bookmarks.folder.1.uri		/home/jamie/documents
> org.freedesktop.bookmarks.folder.2.uri		/home/jamie/hacking

That's something that bothers me about key based configuration systems... what
happens if I remove org.freedesktop.bookmarks.web.1 ? Do my bookmarks then
start at 2? Are 1 and 2 some sort of sequence numbers, or should they be seen
as unique identifiers? Should the config system have a function for "give me
a new id that isn't used yet" ?

Cheers,
Waldo