Bookmarks shared among desktop environments

Jamie McCracken jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Apr 18 23:40:25 EEST 2005

Brad Hards wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 01:47 am, Christian Neumair wrote:
>
>>I've recently decided to implement a D-Bus-powered bookmarks system,
>>which aims to provide categorized file and web bookmarks.
>
> Why is this a good idea?
>
> In particular, given that we have a fairly widely supported format for web
> bookmarks:
> http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/topics/xbel/
>
> Why don't we simply agree on a common file location for that (~/.xbel/ or
> ~/.fdo/xbel/ ?), and move onto the next task?
>
> What is the problem that you are trying to solve?

Its nice to have notifications for bookmarks when they change (Nautilus
already does this - so all nautilus windows have up to date bookmarks).

Its also nice to have one api/system for all config/prefs which is the
raison d'etre of DConf. A myriad of standards makes admin jobs more
difficult.

jamie.