Bookmarks shared among desktop environments

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Apr 19 00:32:54 EEST 2005

On Monday 18 April 2005 23:20, Christoph Cullmann wrote:

> I guess not only gnome and kde have methodes to monitor files, and such a
> common location for the bookmarks file would be imho a step into the right
> direction, which needs no big technical changes but just some
> standardisatio

One would also need some common locking,

But thinking about it that could be a favorable solution.
Instead of handling each entry separately through D-BUS, why not have a D-BUS
service which sends signals upon changes of shared files and also issues
writing leases.

The bookmark using applications would just read the shared file when they
start or when it changes and would request a writing lease before writing to
it.

This way you can use the same technique for all data that is already stored in
very common formats, like vcard or vcalendar, etc

Cheers,
Kevin