Bookmarks shared among desktop environments

Navindra Umanee navindra at cs.mcgill.ca
Tue Apr 19 07:38:34 EEST 2005

Brad Hards <bradh at frogmouth.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 01:47 am, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > I've recently decided to implement a D-Bus-powered bookmarks system,
> > which aims to provide categorized file and web bookmarks.
> Why is this a good idea?
>
> In particular, given that we have a fairly widely supported format for web
> bookmarks:
> http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/topics/xbel/

I'm not sure xbel is so good anyway.

I, for one, find it incredibly annoying that my xbel bookmarks file
constantly changes whether I save/remove new bookmarks to/from it
or not.  This makes it all but impossible to merge bookmark files
(e.g. with Unison) with a common ancestor even though one of them
shouldn't have changed at all.

As a user, I'd like to have a stronger say over what happens to my
data rather than have xbel change it whenever it wants.

Cheers,
Navin.