Bookmarks shared among desktop environments

Jamie McCracken jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Apr 19 14:33:12 EEST 2005

Dave Cridland wrote:

> IMHO, if we're serious about wanting to store lightweight database-like
> data in D-Conf, then we really ought to consider replacing a key/value
> system with a key=>{collection of named attributes} system. key/value
> pairs are easy to implement is such a model, whereas emulating
> structures within a key/value model looks like a nasty hack.

Its not really a nasty hack because the key/value stuff is really only a
limitation of LDAP. Fortunately the design of DConf is considering using
  the local database to cache values from remote servers. So if sqlite
(or some other sql database) is used as the local store we need only
concern ourselves with how to store structured data remotely in
key/value as all manipulation of that data would be done in separate sql
tables locally.

EG you could store an xml database for your structured data in the
key/value pair on an LDAP server (the key would be of type TABLE). When
you cache this locally in sqlite you convert that xml into a separate
sql table (and vice versa when you update). As all access to keys/data
is done through the local cache it will be totally transparent.

As I have said elsewhere we wont consider storing lightweight DB data
unitl after DConf is adopted so it is something to consider for the
possible future.

jamie.