Question on shared-mime-info adoption

Rodney Dawes dobey at novell.com
Mon Dec 5 20:09:03 EET 2005

Nautilus uses the API in libgnomeui to map mime types to icon file
names. In 2.12 and previous versions, this code looks for
gnome-mime-group-type, and then falls back to gnome-mime-group, and
then, to gnome-fs-regular. For directories and various other things
that may or may not be files, such as remote hosts, sockets, pipes,
and the like, it uses gnome-fs-<type> for the icons.

And yes, all of this is done using the icon theme. However, the Icon
Theme specification does not specify what the names of icons should
be. It only specifies that themeable icons should be somewhere in a
sub-directory of the theme directory.

If you want appropriate names to use, see the Icon Name Specification,
which unfortunately is not on the freedesktop.org web site, yet, but is
however, in CVS, in the same repository as the Icon Theme Spec.

-- dobey