user-space daemon sample script

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Dec 8 07:54:46 EET 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 13:09 +0100, Daniele Favara (nomed) wrote:
> what does it happen if i run an user-space daemon ?
>
> I think a sample script to write such scripts should be integrated in
> freedesktop standard, as there are a lot of user-space daemons that
> could be started using that method and that will be still running when
> the user disconnect to X server ...
>
> the problem is that if i relogin to X server i'll have 2 daemon.

If you mean per-user daemon, I think you don't really want one of these.
There's no good way to implement it, except a client-server architecture
(like imap or ldap), and you can't make that work "out of the box"

In practice if you try to do a per-user daemon you will get a
per-(user,machine)-pair daemon, and that is just not very useful; at
that point you may as well make things more sane and do a per-session
daemon. Almost all daemons in GNOME/KDE are per-session. For per-session
you can either connect to the X server or to the session dbus daemon or
to DCOP as a way of tracking the session lifecycle.

If per-(user,machine) is OK, then per-session should also be OK; in both
cases you can have multiple daemons per home directory and per user
running at the same time.

Havoc