File icons

Joe Krahn krahn at niehs.nih.gov
Tue Feb 8 22:19:35 EET 2005

I'm working with _NET_WM_ICONS, and had the idea that it would be useful
for files to have icon resources, as in Windows. It's the kind of idea
that could be quite useful, but very hard to implement due to the
overlap between X, the OS, and filesystem features.

I don't know who would best to consider such a proposal; maybe you could
pass this along to the appropriate people for discussion during the
upcoming meeting?

My really-simple idea is that files could contain icon data in the
_NET_WM_ICON format, stored as an extended attribute, or maybe stored in
the file body under a common symbol name, or both.

Thanks, Joe Krahn