Icon themes

Andrew Conkling andrewski at fr.st
Mon Feb 14 06:29:53 EET 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 04:21 +0000, Frans Englich wrote:
>No, there exists no standardization of icon names. It is certainly of
>interest, since it is the key to themes which actually aren't bound to
>a desktop environment, as well as it simplifies a lot of practical details.
>
>I did an initial draft, which standardized icon names, as extension to the
>Icon Theme specification, collected from KDE's and GNOME's repositories. That
>draft is a good start, but nevertheless remains massive grunt work and
>coordination -- which unfortunately will have to continue to wait for me for
>undefined time, unless it also brings food on the table. Perhaps I should
>contact a distro.

Where can I find this initial draft?  I'd be interested in trying to
jumpstart some thoughts on the matter, since the theme I work on has a
pretty active community that would have some thoughts and opinions from
a variety of DEs.

I mostly think this is an important step to achieving some sort of
standard; even though it would take apps a while to 'catch up' by
changing their specs, at least there would be something to refer to.  A
few times, I've had to muck around the code only to find that a standard
icon is given a name of <app-name-here>-stock-foo.png.  Ridiculous....

>I think your alternative is to do what themes currently do: tailor for a
>certain desktop environment.

That's no solution! :D  I can see tailoring for GTK as opposed to QT,
but (e.g.) with at least a few GTK DEs out there--Gnome and Xfce, for
example--a widget-wide standard would be nice.

Cheers,
Andrew