Wouldn't it be better to have all help files in /usr/share/help/ ? (help spec needed?)

Shaun McCance shaunm at gnome.org
Wed Feb 16 22:18:08 EET 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 10:05 +0100, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Monday, 14. February 2005 01:25, Kristof Vansant wrote:
> >
> > Are there plans for a spec about this so they are less different?
>
> There once was a discussion about a shared documentation system [1]. Although
> there was an agreement [2] how to proceed we didn't manage to write down a
> specification yet. The basic idea was to use meta data to describe the
> documentation and its location. This means that the different paths used by
> different desktops wouldn't matter.
>
> [1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2003-December/002924.html
> [2] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2004-February/003293.html

Yeah, I totally dropped the ball on this one.  I got rather busy with
a lot of other Gnome stuff and didn't have the time to follow through
with this.  Very boilerplate excuse for any free software maintainer.

Cornelius, your page on people.kde.org says you're in Erlangen.  If my
geography is right, that's fairly close to Stuttgart, yes?  Maybe you
(and any other interested developers, of course) could come to GUADEC
this may, and we could flesh some stuff out face-to-face.

http://2005.guadec.org/

I've just been talking to Roman Joost, who works on the GIMP help
system.  He's in Germany as well, and he's interested in coming
down to GUADEC for this.

--
Shaun