menu editing with multiple menu editors

Christian Neumair chris at gnome-de.org
Mon Feb 28 18:30:33 EET 2005

Am Sonntag, den 27.02.2005, 15:16 +0100 schrieb Waldo Bastian:
> On Sunday 27 February 2005 11:37, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > I've just finished writing a prelimitary version of a GNOME menu editor
> > that simply does some <Include>/<Exclude> magic to adapt the application
> > menus in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME without providing any sophisticated layout
> > manipulation magic. To be more precise, I place my modifications in
> > $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/menus/applications-merged/gnome-menu-editor.menu. The
> > KDE-specific applications.menu contains

> > How can we aviod that the changes of one editor don't take effect in the
> > menu because they are overriden my changes of another editor?
>
> I think the easiest solution would be to use a single file for storing the
> changes in, we could be using applications-kmenuedit.menu for that. If there
> is objection to that name it would be possible to migrate to a more neutral
> name, although that always tends to cause some inconvenience for the end
> user. E.g. we could use 'application-menuedit.menu' instead and let
> 'application-kmenuedit.menu' include that one for backwards compatibility.

This sounds very reasonable. I'd be in favor of a more neutral name,
actually. Note that there is another barrier as well: For some reason,
KDE calls its application menu "KDE", GNOME calls its application menu
"Applications". Because there is can be one root node per file, and the
<Name> tags diverge, this will most probably lead to conflicts. Any
ideas how this could be resolved?

Thanks for clarifying some of the interoperability issues!

Maybe we should even ship a pkg-config'ed xdg tarball for a default
application menu that only contains bits which can be shared among
desktop environments, including menu desktop file translations.

--
Christian Neumair <chris at gnome-de.org>