menu editing with multiple menu editors

Christian Neumair chris at gnome-de.org
Mon Feb 28 20:00:40 EET 2005

Am Montag, den 28.02.2005, 18:34 +0100 schrieb Waldo Bastian:
> On Monday 28 February 2005 17:30, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > This sounds very reasonable. I'd be in favor of a more neutral name,
> > actually. Note that there is another barrier as well: For some reason,
> > KDE calls its application menu "KDE", GNOME calls its application menu
> > "Applications". Because there is can be one root node per file, and the
> > <Name> tags diverge, this will most probably lead to conflicts. Any
> > ideas how this could be resolved?
>
> I have changed it to "Applications" now. We don't actually use it for anything
> as far as I know.

How does that work? How do you retain backwards compatibility? Doesn't
the .menu file still contain "KDE" for the top-level
<Menu><Name/></Menu>? How should I deal with this issue when
modifying/accessing the edited file or can I rely on some file (probably
a new one, as you said neutrally named) having a "correct" top-level
("Applications") Name node?

--
Christian Neumair <chris at gnome-de.org>