pkg-config2

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sun Jan 23 06:11:57 EET 2005

On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 10:53:23PM -0500, Maks Orlovich wrote:
> On Saturday 22 January 2005 10:46 pm, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > >
> > > Well currently there is duplication in applications like kde-config
> >
> > I strongly believe that kde-config should not exist, and that it should be
> > a function of pkg-config.
>
> Probably because you don't know what it does. Actually, there is no overlap in
> functionality.

Looking over kde-config, it does exactly what I thought it does, and I see a
massive overlap in functionality.

You can extract arbitrary data from pkg-config: you are not limited to cflags.
If you define kdeconfigpath, et al, to be a standard for all KDE apps, then you
can all use the standard pkg-config implementation, and have everyone still
using the same frontend.  You could even define -prefix or -noprefix to get it
with or without ${prefix}, if you wanted, e.g.:
	kdeconfigpath: ${prefix}/share/applications
	kdeconfigpath-noprefix: share/applications

Daniel, looking and seeing no functionality that *doesn't* overlap