pkg-config2

Ian Reinhart Geiser ian at geiseri.com
Sun Jan 23 20:52:11 EET 2005

On Sunday 23 January 2005 00:00, Owen Taylor wrote:
> I don't think anybody is particularly tied to the current implementation
> (it seems to work pretty well, but...) Command line and file format
> compatibility is much more important.
I agree.  This was our goal of the first release here, to make sure we are
100% compat with the current cmdline and file format.

Second stage will be to provide the "lint" application for validating pc
files, and to provide more robust win32 support.

Third stage will be to start exposing the parts of the library needed to make
tools like kde-config use pkg-conf metadata.  This should drive the design
for the public API to embed and extend pkg-conf.  NOTE: by extend we are not
allowing or promoting the extension of the file format itself.  We are just
allowing *-conf tools to extend what is there with dynamic data via the
current rules of variable expansion in pkg-conf.

Fourth and beyond stages will be integration into MSVC, XCode, QMake and other
build tools beyond autotools.

The main goal though over the course of all of these stages is to solidify and
document the current .pc format as a standard for this metadata and to ensure
it can be reused in other projects.

Cheers
	-ian reinhart geiser
--
==========+<KWeather for KDE 3.2>+=+<http://www.kde.org>+===
 Report for Philadelphia, Northeast Philadelphia Airport