Unified autostart scripts directory

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Fri Jul 1 22:59:06 EEST 2005

Having an autostart for simple programs and daemons sounds fine to me
but I think there is a bit too much being put into this.  In order to
have a true dependency system of which we are working on with
libgnomeservice in gnome cvs, it gets a bit more complicated than just
dropping a file in the right location.

I think having a spec for easily dropping a desktop file in a common
location to autostart a program is fine but I think we should let
projects explore the more complicated stuff before writing up a spec
that will please no one.  Projects have to define and find their needs
before we can have a unified system.

>From the stuff I am reading in the thread, each iteration getting more
complex than the last, it just seems to be moving into the same traps I
have seen recent fd.o projects falling into.  That is namely writing a
spec before figuring out what the real needs are.

The problem that the simple directory solves is allowing a user to
autostart programs they would like autostarted in their session.

The problem that a desktop services framework solves is completely
different and largely desktop environment dependent.  In the end we may
want some sort of unification but I just don't this is the point in time
to discuss writing specs for it.