Unified autostart scripts directory

seventh guardian seventhguardian_ at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 5 23:35:53 EEST 2005

>From: David Faure <dfaure at trolltech.com>
>To: xdg at lists.freedesktop.org
>Subject: Re: Unified autostart scripts directory
>Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 20:21:21 +0200
>
>On Tuesday 05 July 2005 13:40, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> > From comments elsewhere in the thread we seam to have the following for
>the
> > different desktops:
> > - KDE
> >   $KDEDIRS/Autostart
> >   $KDEDIRS/env
>
>Not really. We have ~/.kde/Autostart/ (by default, but it's configurable)
>for the *user* autostart folder (i.e. it's empty by default but users can
>put
>.desktop links, or shellscripts in there).
>
>And $KDEDIRS/share/autostart/ (which means a number of directories) for the
>system autostart, with the features Waldo described. But starting
>KDE-desktop
>apps in other environment doesn't make much sense ;)

Humm.. yes, I guess you're right on that.. We should focus only on the user
interaction stuff, like starting an im messenger on startup, or opening a
filemanager when a usbdisk is mounted, or even what action to do when a key
is pressed.

Things like the "inner guts" of the DM should concern only the DM, and not
even being spec'd at all.

So maybe we should forget (at least for now) about the underlinigng dm's
services&stuff framework, and concentrate only in the "user side" of the
question?