Unified autostart scripts directory

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at Sun.COM
Wed Jul 6 15:29:49 EEST 2005

ghee teo wrote:
>    Do you really want to support  autorun feature? It is  such a
> security nightmare.
> Though it may seems nice, but the script could make to do anything,
> including wiping out your harddisk, install a trojan horse even before
> you realise it.
>
>   CDE on Solarirs used to support it and we had to take it out for this
> simple reason.

	Unix still has profile files, though, which can be use
	to play similar tricks: a colleague once dropped "logout"
	into a csh .login file (:-))

	Unless you actually mean **root** autorun: the only
	program I know that has that is Samba, and it protects
	the commands (root preexec and postexec) against
	unprivileged people.

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,      | Always do right. This will gratify
Sun Microsystems, Toronto | some people and astonish the rest