RFC: Autostart spec, first draft

Mike Hearn m.hearn at signal.QinetiQ.com
Thu Jul 7 17:47:04 EEST 2005

Timo Stülten wrote:
> If opening some CDs for Mac in the Finder there appears some sort of splash
> screen without the need for executables or autostart. (File icons are
> specially crafted and arranged to get a bigger image. It's a hack, but a nice
> one)

Apple can do this because they can mandate a spatial file manager. That
sort of background trick wouldn't work too well in a file manager like
Konqueror or Nautilus in browse mode.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Windows style auto-start. It's
convenient for the user and requires minimal knowledge and interaction.
We just need to get it right.

thanks -mike