IM Protocols

Fabian Zeindl fabian.zeindl at gmx.at
Sat Jul 16 17:38:50 EEST 2005

Matt Rogers schrieb:
> you're probably right but there are a lot of issues here, although it is a
> nice idea. i suppose they're all really political issues (like what language
> to write it in, etc.)

Hm... I don't have any experience in this.

>>>It would be good but some of the Corps like to "inovate" third party
>>>clients out of their network. (kopete and gaim both have this issue)

> I have no clue what is meant by "some of the Corps like 'inovate' third party
> clients out of their network". please clarify.

I think he means that "official clients" like ICQ/MSN etc. change their
protocol from time to time to block unofficial clients. Or they
implement new features which aren't available in alternative clients.

>>>On 7/8/05, Fabian Zeindl <fabian.zeindl at gmx.at> wrote:
> poppler for PDF came out of xpdf and the fact that the author wasn't willing
> to merge certain patches that people sent him, so it was basically forked.
> (from my understanding). So you're saying that we should fork all the IM
> clients into one? ;)

 in 15 different clients.No, but basically the part of the IM-Clients
which does the Jabber/Oscar/whatever-protocol should be the same in
every client. So when e.g. the ICQ/Oscar Protocol changes just the
"unified" Oscar-Implementation has to be adapted, not 15 different
implementations.
The second advantage is that people who want to start new IM-Clients
could start coding using a working "IM-Implementation" with a documented
API and don't have to read and pull out code of (complex) existing programs.
Just a thought...

greetings
fabian

--
 ...The problem is all inside your head
 She said to me

I prefer signed/encrypted Mail:
Fingerprint: CFE8 38A7 0BC4 3CB0 E454  FA8D 04F9 B3B6 E02D 25BA