IM Protocols

Fabian Zeindl fabian.zeindl at gmx.at
Sun Jul 17 12:38:15 EEST 2005

Olivier Goffart schrieb:
> Because it's how free software works.
>
> Why should be there several client of the same protocol ?
>
> Why should be there several application that does the same task ?
>
> Why should be there several desktop environment ?
>

> I often heard opinion such as "Why can't they merge Gnome and KDE ? They are
> dividing man power"
>

> The answer is that there are people that want to work on their different
> program, with different objectives, visions, or just for fun.
>

> There are already free libraries for some IM protocol implementations.
> If a IM client author want to use it, he is free.
>

> The diversity of the open source world, is (in my opinion) a very important
> thing.

I understand what you mean, but I think your thoughts apply to efforts
of uniting Applications (like KDE and Gnome). I don't want to unite any
IM-Client, I just find it useful to have a unique implementation of the
underlying protocol layer, like poppler is a united
pdf-rendering-implementation for kpdf, gpdf, evince etc...

greetings
fabian

--
 ...The problem is all inside your head
 She said to me

I prefer signed/encrypted Mail:
Fingerprint: CFE8 38A7 0BC4 3CB0 E454  FA8D 04F9 B3B6 E02D 25BA