Qt/GTK Skinning

Kalle Vahlman kalle.vahlman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 11:08:10 EEST 2005

On 7/25/05, Philip Van Hoof <spam at pvanhoof.be> wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-07-24 at 08:33 -0700, Dom Lachowicz wrote:
> > This probably isn't an appropriate question for
> > xdg-list, but you might want to take a look at
> > Metatheme:
> >
> > http://metatheme.advel.cz/
> >

> In the end it shouldn't, for the user, matter what windowing system the
> user is using. A user doesn't care at all about KD-whatever or
> GN-whatever. The user wants it to "just work".
>
> In the end the windowing system should be a developer choice only. Not a
> developer target that affects the user.

First of all, "windowing system" is a crude understatement of what for
example Gnome and KDE are.

> For the user "shared themes" is one of the components to make this
> happen. Other components are "shared infrastructure" like a shared VFS,
> a shared configuration system, a shared calendar, a shared contact list,
> a shared presence notification system, a shared panel, a shared file
> browser and a shared multimedia infrastructure and framework.

Secondly, If you have all of those shared, what remains to be different?

Unless you mean "way to store calendar data" by "calendar" for
example, and then it's not infrastructure that should be shared, but
standards.

> Therefore I think it IS an appropriate question for xdg-list. Since it's
> one of the important components that ought to be shared by KDE and
> GNOME.

A mutually used standard for theme description would be nice , but I
suspect that at implementation level there is so much variation that
it'll come down to toolkit-specific hacks (as is the case with
metatheme) which kind of defeats the whole idea.

Kalle Vahlman, zuh at iki.fi