Desktop Entry Specification

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos at pemas.net
Fri Jun 3 21:36:35 EEST 2005

Hi

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 07:32 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
[...]

> 	My suggestion to Takao was that they change the way intltool-merge
> works from a tool which merges translations into the .desktop files at
> build time to a tool which merges individual translations from the
> message catalog into the .desktop file at package install time.
>
> 	i.e. your gnome-frobnicator-de package would
> contain /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/gnome-frobnicator.mo and a %
> post install scriptlet like:
>
>   $> intltool-merge --desktop-style --key Name --key Comment \
>                     --textdomain gnome-frobnicator --lang de \
>                     /usr/share/applications/gnome-frobnicator.desktop
>
> 	and a %postun scriptlet like:
>
>   $> intltool-merge --desktop-style --key Name --key Comment \
>                     --lang de --demerge \
>                     /usr/share/applications/gnome-frobnicator.desktop
>
> Cheers,
> Mark.

that solution still needs that we add the translation domain value
inside the .desktop file because a language pack will have a set of .mo
files, and we still need the mapping between the .desktop file to the
translation catalog.

Could we add that entry to the spec so both kind of implementations can
be done? (the one that use the .mo files on runtime and the one that
updates the .desktop files on installation time?)

Attached, you have the proposed change to the spec.

The diff has also a fix for the Icon type, the description of that field
says that it should be a 'localestring' instead of just a 'string'.

Cheers.