XDG Menus GNOME vs. KDE

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Fri Jun 17 04:47:57 EEST 2005

Waldo Bastian wrote:
> applications.menu is the entry point for everything that ends up in the menu.
> If you want to have a desktop-specific menu I would add code that selects a
> file other than applications.menu as a starting point. Then what you will or
> will not get in your menu will depend on what you put in that other .menu
> file.

The idea here is that a desktop would use (kde for example) files or
directories that started with either "applications" or "kde-", and if it
found a file: "kde-applications.menu" that it would ignore the file:
"applications.menu".  This appears to be necessary since KDE and GNOME
both install a file: "applications.menu" and they are have very
different menu structure.

The proposal does not mean that you would have to use separate menu
files for different desktops, it is only a standard for how to do it if
you want to do so.

--
JRT