Small EWMH inconsistency

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at
Mon Jun 27 11:48:57 EEST 2005

On Saturday 25 of June 2005 16:19, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> While reading the 1.4 draft, I noticed that it says:
> Note that the actions listed here are those that the Window Manager will
> honor for this window. The operations must still be requested through
> the normal mechanisms outlined in this specification. For example,
> _NET_WM_ACTION_CLOSE does not mean that clients can send a
> WM_DELETE_WINDOW message to this window; it means that clients can use a
> _NET_CLOSE_WINDOW message to ask the Window Manager to do so.
> and a few lines below that, it says:
> _NET_WM_ACTION_CLOSE indicates that the window may be closed (i.e. a
> WM_DELETE_WINDOW message may be sent).
> What gives ?
> Are applications supposed to send WM_DELETE_WINDOW or
> _NET_CLOSE_WINDOW ? explains
the purpose of _NET_CLOSE_WINDOW. WM_DELETE_WINDOW is sent to windows in
order to close them. _NET_CLOSE_WINDOW should be used by anything else than
the WM, as the WM may do more clever tricks than just plain sending of

 I've fixed the second quoted part to say _NET_CLOSE_WINDOW.

 (The list for the wm-spec is wm-spec-list at BTW).

Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at , l.lunak at
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic