Problems with xorg-x11

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed Mar 2 18:20:31 EET 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Erik Jakobsen wrote:

> xorg-x11-6.7.0-11
>
> On the server I can see a black screen with the X in it, and can move
> the X around with my cursor.
> That should indicate, that the X server is running I think.

Sounds like it.

> But if I want to compile the Icewm, I get the error, that X is not running.

You don't need X to be running to compile IceWM. (I have built IceWM
numerous times without any X running.)

What are the exact errors you receive when attempting to compile IceWM?

I am guessing you don't have the development headers (and maybe libraries)
installed.

In the meanwhile, use twm as your window manager. It is provided with
xorg. (But you need to install the correct package.)

Have a look at your available Fedora packages and install more xorg
packages. This will also fix the warning about your missing fonts.

(This list is probably the wrong list.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/