Problems with xorg-x11

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Wed Mar 2 19:08:56 EET 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, Erik Jakobsen wrote:

> checking for X... no
> configure: error: X Window System not found
> [root at mail icewm-1.2.20]#
>
> >I am guessing you don't have the development headers (and maybe libraries)
> >installed.
> >
> I just installed the xorg-x11 package. What is the name of the lacking
> packages ?.
>
> >In the meanwhile, use twm as your window manager. It is provided with
> >xorg. (But you need to install the correct package.)
>
> Ok good, but how can I define the correct package ?.

Look at your available packages. Look for something with "twm" or
xorg-clients" or similar as the package name.

> >Have a look at your available Fedora packages and install more xorg
> >packages. This will also fix the warning about your missing fonts.
>
> I will, as the Fedora is not completely installed here, as its main
> intention is to
> run as a server. I have not been on the Fedora site to search. Can you
> tell me what I need there ?.

Sorry. You need to look at your available packages where you installed
xorg-server and look for your other "xorg" packages. Look for something
like "xorg-devel" and "xorg-clients".

> >(This list is probably the wrong list.)
> >

> I was not quite sure about it. Thanks for not cutting my head off.
>
> What is the right list then ?.

I don't know of a beginners mailing list for xorg.

But the fedora community has mailing lists. And also look for a mailing
list for a local or nearby Linux (or Unix) users group. (That could be a
great resource for you.)

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/