A common VFS and a Common conf-system [Part II]

Jamie McCracken jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 03:06:06 EET 2005

Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 00:09 +0000, Jamie McCracken wrote:
>
>>Waldo Bastian wrote:
>

>>>I think there is some misunderstanding here about the separation between
>>>daemon and the backends. The question isn't so much about the daemon itself,
>>>as well as how the backends run. Do the backends run in a process of
>>>themselve, as separate thread in the daemon process or do they time-share the
>>>main single thread of the daemon?
>>
>>Well considering some of the backends would probably be synchronous in
>>nature (EG anything taht involves a lot of polling) then they would have
>>to be threaded with the deamon being async in that case - is that right?
>

> I can't think of any situation where you have a network protocol that
> must be synchronous.

Synchronous FTP?

Anyway there are other elements like keeping connections alive by
periodic polling and live views (aka file monitoring in gnome-vfs) which
would also involve periodic polling/refreshing in things like FTP
servers. Of course you could do that without threads but it would be
quite messy codewise wouldn't it?

jamie.