A common VFS and a Common conf-system [Part II]

Jamie McCracken jamiemcc at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 03:54:54 EET 2005

Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 01:06 +0000, Jamie McCracken wrote:
>
>>Sean Middleditch wrote:
>

>>>I can't think of any situation where you have a network protocol that
>>>must be synchronous.
>>
>>Synchronous FTP?
>

> Not really the same kind of 'synchronous' - that refers to initiating an
> operation (like an upload) and waiting until it's complete.  That's
> application behavior.  You can code that behavior using an asynchronous
> API.  And in fact, you'd *want* to code it that way, since that way that
> use can hit Cancel or watch a progress meter or so on.

Depends, sync is faster thats why some p2p apps use it (I cant remember
which) and they have multithreaded clients for doing multiple
downloads/uploads.

stat() is also a synchronous operation which if you performed over a
slow NFS volume would block your main loop too unless its threaded. You
cant assume all functions will be async in nature - a number are
synchronous and will block especially on slower volumes so these may
aggregate to cause bigger latencies.

jamie.